25 January 2017
Cllr Martin Tett, LGA Housing spokesman, responds to new government statistics which show an increase in the number of people sleeping rough.
24 January 2017
Cllr Martin Tett, Local Government Association Environment spokesman, responds to an Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Committee update on the future of flood prevention.
13 January 2017
Councils are playing a pivotal role in supporting communities – as widespread flooding is expected to hit the nation this weekend.
17 January 2017
Lord Porter, Chairman of the LGA. responds to government funding announced today for councils to meet the costs associated with the Homelessness Reduction Bill.
3 January 2017
Cllr Martin Tett, Housing spokesman for the LGA, responds to the Government announcement that construction on new starter homes will begin in 30 council areas.
Our environment work covers a wide range of areas including climate change, energy, housing, planning and waste.
We are achieving greater devolution for local government:
- greater local decision making in planning and housing through the Localism Bill, the National Planning Policy Framework and elsewhere
- a sustainable model for the provision and allocation of social housing and support for vulnerable people
- a light touch and proportionate approach to social housing regulation
- power and flexibility for councils to make local decisions on waste
- a fair and transparent system of self-financing for council housing.
We are helping councils tackle their challenges through:
- the Department for Energy and Climate Change programme on improvement and self-regulation for energy and climate
- ensuring councils seize opportunities and manage the risks arising from the changes to planning, achieved through the Planning Advisory Service (PAS) programme
- ensuring councils are effective in flood risk management
- supporting councils in responding to housing reforms to meet the housing needs of their communities.
The Local Government Association (LGA) Housing Commission was established to help councils deliver their ambition for places. It has been supported by a panel of advisers and has engaged with over 100 partners; hearing from councils, developers, charities, health partners, and many others.
The latest reports, surveys and papers on the environment and related issues.
Climate Local was an LGA initiative, supported by the Environment Agency Climate Ready service. It was created to drive, inspire and support council action on climate change. Running from June 2012 to March 2106, it supported councils both to reduce carbon emissions and to increase resilience to a changing climate.
You can view all of the materials and research from the initiative in the Climate Local project archive.